No matter what size, online retailers always ask themselves if they have a competitive platform powering their ecommerce store front and back-end. There are many aspects of online retail that shape ecommerce platforms selection process, and, typically, by the time a system is rolled out, a retailer often already has a roadmap for subsequent technological steps to upscale their online channel. Often, a platform reaches the ceiling in terms of scalability and cost-effective customization to further push its’ limits and needs to be overhauled.
PulsarFour had helped numerous online retailers to make the right technology decisions and to strategically differentiate themselves by replatforming their online sales “engines”. The correct ecommerce platform selection truly separates retailers that successfully meet market requirements and those who are simply destroyed and are put out of business because of poor system deployment or delaying such deployments. To make such a “correct” decision, we approach each case individually and perform the steps outlined below.
Select and implement the right ecommerce platform
- We audit and assess retailer’s existing ecommerce application platform in terms of its features, its ability to handle existing and planned volume of business, level of code customization, its integrations with third-party and internal systems;
- We evaluate ecommerce platform requirements of an online retailer: their utilized and planned sales channels, product catalog expansion, international expansion (multi-location and multi-currency support), integration needs, intended volumes, desired features and functionality, industry vertical-specific features, etc.;
- We make technology recommendations after careful evaluations of retailer’s requirements and best match such needs with the most appropriate ecommerce application platform;
- We are not technology centric and we do not push a specific platform; we do work with and recommend platforms that are leading in their market segment and industry verticals, such as Demandware or Magento, but, ultimately, we take into consideration the total cost of ownership, cost-effectiveness of application customization vs. having features available “out of the box”;
- We help migrate existing data and to seamlessly transition over to the new platform with minimal loss of precious search engine rankings and traffic;
- We assist with ecommerce migrations from outdated legacy web applications to modern storefronts, provide expert level support, and consult our clients along to way to make such migrations optimal and cost-effective.
Key criteria for selecting an ecommerce platform
- Transaction volume processing capability
- Mobility and responsiveness
- Front-end flexibility of navigation, filtering and search
- Back-end systems integration
- Security and compliance
- Customization opportunities
- Ease of administration and merchandising
- SEO friendliness
- Licensing and support costs