Adaptive web design covers a wide set of modern concepts and techniques result in delivering superb user experience regardless of a device used to get content. PulsarFour bases virtually all of our projects on a responsive web design (RWD). We support abandonment of fixed grids and displaying media as scalable assets; through standard CSS media queries, our designs respond to any screen size. We also work with our clients to structure their content as a service, making it highly reusable and separable from the delivery form.
Our services in this area are as follows:
- Custom adaptive web design;
- Custom responsive web design;
- Modernizing an existing website for a client, making it fully or partially responsive depending on business goals;
- Building a fully responsive product, such as a custom product configurator on an ecommerce platform;
- Optimization of an existing responsive / adaptive website to improve its performance / overall speed and improve its’ usability.
Adaptive Design vs. Responsive Design
How can you differentiate between the two types of design? For the end device user, there is really no major difference in the two concepts. However, both are very distinct:
- Assumes serving of separate HTML code, using CSS to change the website presentation based on the device used to access the content;
- Utilizes scripting to assist with adapting to screen sizes. By default, detects the type of device and its functionality, then changes the site’s behavior according to it;
- Only loads the required resources for the user’s device, resulting in faster overall site speed;
- Images are specifically screen-size optimized, reducing file size and load times;
- Adaptive templates are implemented on a pre-existing site template, without changing the whole front-end of a website.
- Uses Media Queries to detect user device;
- Flexible images and fluid grids are used to correctly fit use display;
- All website assets are loaded for each device, regardless of type, resulting in a slower site response and speed;
- A single template is used for all of user devices;
- To make it responsive, one should rebuild the site front-end completely.